Monday, March 10, 2014

it's been a while!

I have been terrible at blogging lately, but it's been partially intentional. The big news is that I got a job, so we moved and have been busy settling in. I've also been waiting for more of the official things to get settled at my job before posting much about it. Not all of that is done, so for now all I'll say about it is that I'm working part-time teaching math at an international school. So far, it's really great, and I am so very thankful for that!

This post will be more about the move, our new apartment (or flat, to be more proper), and life here in Landskrona. We are further south than we were with Daniel's parents, and we're right on the western coast of Sweden. Landskrona is, from what I've experienced so far, a really great mix of big-city and low-key life. We have multiple restaurants and coffee shops, H&M, and even a couple of grocery stores that would qualify as supermarkets. The beach area is beautiful, and the architecture is old enough to be funky and fun. But it's quiet, fairly safe, and far enough from the "big" cities that the atmosphere here is much more relaxed and chill. I like it!

We were super blessed by being able to move into an apartment that is owned by a church where Daniel's dad used to be a pastor. Normally it isn't that easy to find an apartment to rent in a city, so we're very thankful. And the apartment is great! We have plenty of space, nice neighbors, and free parking on the street outside :) It's an 8-minute bus ride, or 17-minute walk, to the train station, and about a 10 minute walk to the beach. This is our first time moving into a place together, so we're loving the process of establishing a home together. 

Another blessing of living here is that we are now really close to friends and family that were before just a bit too far away to be able to see regularly. Now, many of them are within a half hour of us! And now we have an easy train ride to some of the big cities, which means that we get to do cool things like go to concerts in Copenhagen. 

That's enough talk for now - here are some pictures!

This is the best part of my walk from school to the train station in Helsingborg.
This is looking west - on the other side of the water is Denmark.


Yes, that is an entire wall of potatoes. Before moving here, I had no
idea that there are so many different varieties of potatoes...

Spring is coming, and it's wonderful!

Southern Sweden has lots of farmland. The green fields are a lovely
sight after the grayness of winter.

This is the massive living room in our apartment! We hardly have any furniture,
so it will take us a while to fill it :)

Move-in day. We spent hours at IKEA.

William Fitzsimmons in Copenhagen! Front row!

Our little car, who has been causing us much grief lately. One highlight of last
week was having to climb in through the trunk at the train station (in the middle of the day)
because neither of the door locks work anymore. 

1 comment:

  1. This post was super exciting to read! I'm so glad that you guys got your own place now! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete