Sunday, June 3, 2012

a picture is worth a thousand words.

This post will be short on the writing side, because a) I want to go to bed soon, and b) the pictures will tell the story way more effectively, and it's usually much more fun to see pictures of adventures anyways. 


Daniel and I spent the weekend at the Dead Sea; we rented a car and got to feel like real grown-ups, and we packed way too much because we were so excited about having so much space. We camped near En Gedi, and kept busy hiking up and exploring Masada, floating in the Dead Sea, driving through the mountains on sketchy roads, and hiking up Wadi Arugot near En Gedi. So, without further ado, here are some of the pictures!




5am, starting the hike up Masada
to see the sunrise from the top. 
The first glimpse of the sun! Everyone at the top was
silent at this point...then started applauding
once the sun was fully up. Pretty cool.


We kept trying to take a good picture,
but finally gave up after 5 shots of me
looking pissed at the world. Keep in mind that
it's still only 5:45am at this point.

This is me inside one of the water
cisterns on top of Masada. If the 12
cisterns were full, they could hold a
combined 40,000 liters of water!

Looking north from Masada. 
Totally being tourists, covered with Dead Sea
Mud. Note the ladies behind us - I definitely
stood like that for the required 10-15
minutes. How embarrassing!
One of the strangest sensations
I've ever experienced.
Also, those mountains in the
background are Jordan.

Yes, that says 41*C = 105.8*F

This is on our drive through the mountains west
of the Dead Sea, at the top of the super sketchy
section of road. Crazy scenery, but beautiful and impressive in its massiveness.
If you need proof that I was wearing my seat belt,
the wet spot left on my shirt from
my swimsuit should convince you!  

I accidentally got to see the sunrise
for the second morning in a row, thanks
to our camping neighbors. This is a little
bit later...not a bad way to start the day.

We hiked up Nakhal Arugot, which is just
south of En Gedi. The canyon was
stunning and the contrast between
the desert cliffs and the green trees
was incredible.
 

There were a few of these pools along
the way, and this was one of the
prettiest.

We lucked out and got this amazing pool all to ourselves!
It felt so good to jump in at the end of the hike, and was a
wonderful way to end our trip.
So, although sunburned and tired, we again had a near-perfect weekend. I was really thankful for the opportunity this provided to get away from the noise and rush and crowding that everyday life is filled with here. To sit out at night and nearly be able to read by the bright moonlight, with the Milky Way showing up a little later, settled me in a way few other things are able to. As impressive as all the historical sites and buildings are, nothing can beat mountains and water and blue skies and silence so pure it's almost deafening.  Times like that are when I feel the most me, when I'm happiest and when life seems full of possibilities and joy and hope, and when I'm reminded that I'm just a small part of this great story that God is working out...and yet I am precious and cherished by that same great God, who knows even the names of the stars. 

"To whom will you compare me?
Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.
Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens:
Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one
and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
not one of them is missing." (Isaiah 40:25-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment